COLOMBIAN PORK, BEEF, & CHICKEN SOUP
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• 3⁄4 cup thinly sliced scallions, plus 3 whole
• 1⁄2 cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
• 3 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
• 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper,
plus more to taste
• 1⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
• 1⁄4 tsp. saffron
• 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
• 6 tbsp. minced cilantro, plus 5 sprigs
• 1 1⁄2 lb. pork spareribs, cut into riblets
• 1 lb. beef brisket, cut into 2″ cubes
• (1) 3-4 lb. chicken
• 2 lb. cassava, peeled and cut into 2″pieces
• 2 lb. medium potatoes, peeled, quartered
• 1⁄2 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
• 3 avocados, peeled, pitted, and quartered,
• Cooked white rice, for serving
Heat oil in an 8″ skillet over medium heat. Add sliced scallions, tomatoes, 1⁄4 tsp. salt, pepper, cumin, saffron, and 2 cloves garlic; cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add 2 tbsp. minced cilantro, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft, 20 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
Place remaining salt and garlic, whole scallions and cilantro sprigs, spareribs, brisket, and chicken in a 12-qt. pot and cover with water by 1″. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Remove chicken, cut into 10 serving pieces, and discard skin and carcass. Place chicken on a plate, cover, and set aside. Add cassava and potatoes to pot and cook for 10 minutes. Add cabbage, cover loosely, and cook until vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes. Return chicken to pot, stir in reserved scallion—tomato sauce, and season with salt and pepper; cook for 5 minutes. Ladle stew into large serving bowls and sprinkle with remaining minced cilantro. Serve with avocado and rice on the side.