FALL SALAD WITH ROASTED BUTTERNUT
SQUASH, KALE, AND POMEGRANATE
• 1⁄2 medium butternut squash (about 1 lb.),
peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
• 1 1⁄4 cups olive oil
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black
pepper, to taste
• 1 large bunch kale, ribs removed and
leaves torn into 2″ pieces
• 1 tsp. citric acid
• 4 cups arugula
• 2 cups watercress
• 1 small head escarole, leaves torn into
pieces and washed
• 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
• 1⁄2 cup pomegranate seeds
• 1⁄3 cup grated Pecorino Romano
• 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
• 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
• 2 tsp. maple syrup
Heat oven to 400°. Toss squash with 1⁄4 cup oil, plus salt and pepper on a baking sheet; spread into an even layer. Bake until slightly caramelized, 18–20 minutes; let cool.
Reduce oven to 275°. Toss kale with 1⁄4 cup oil, citric acid, salt, and pepper on a baking sheet; spread into an even layer. Bake until crisp, 25–30 minutes; let cool.
Whisk remaining oil with pecorino romano, lemon juice, Dijon, maple syrup, salt, and pepper in a bowl until smooth. Toss arugula, watercress, escarole, and 1⁄3 of dressing in a bowl; transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with squash, kale, pumpkin seeds, and pomegranate seeds. Serve additional dressing on the side.